Vocational Opportunities for Adults with Severe Behavioral Challenges: Blending Applied Behavior Analysis with Vocational Supports
Please scroll down for more information about this workshop.
Please read through our documentation carefully. No refunds or transfers are granted if you do not meet continuing education credit or professional development requirements.
Out of stock
For the best experience you should use the following:
- Zoom: The most current version of Zoom.
- Device: A desktop or laptop computer, a Chromebook, or a recent version of a tablet device.
- Browser: An updated version of Chrome or Firefox. | DO NOT use Safari or Internet Explorer
- A high-speed internet connection.
To improve your experience:
- Feel free to use the screen reader and other accessibility options provided to you. To explore these options click on the floating User Way icon found on the left side of the website or press CTRL + U.
- Turn on closed captioning when viewing the live event or the recordings.
Presented by: John M. Guercio, Ph.D., BCBA-D, LBA, CBIST
Live: Friday 3/18/2022 |10:00 am - 12:00 pm Eastern Daylight Time
In 2022, the recording of all ABACLive Webinars and Workshops are accessible to those that register for the live event for 2-weeks. Continuing education credit and professional development requirements must be met within that two-week window.
The recording will close on 4/1/22 at 11:59 pm eastern.
This training will cover the incorporation of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) into the vocational process with adults with autism. The assessment of job specific skills along with the facilitation of appropriate job site behavior will be detailed. A client job rating assessment will be presented that can be used to demonstrate the role of feedback related to job performance. The process of operationally defining and quantifying work behavior using these behavioral aspects as a teaching tool to facilitate improvements in vocational job skills will be comprehensively detailed.
Target Audience: Professionals for whom the topic is within their scope of practice. We welcome students and others who are also interested in the topic to join us.
By the end of this event:
- Participants will select different pre-vocational participation measures as they apply to determining a client’s appropriateness for work.
- Participants will identify the manner in which a detailed feedback system can enhance job performance and decrease aggression on the job site.
- Participants will identify strategies that promote the acquisition of social skills on the job site as well as the appropriate response to job coaching staff that they work with.
10:00 am: Introduction
10:05 am: Webinar begins
11:45 am: Q&A opportunity
12:00 pm: Evaluation, post-test and code submission forms
Dr. Guercio has spent much of his career researching effective staff training protocols and behavior intervention strategies for staff and clients in settings where severe aggression is present. Since obtaining his master’s and doctoral degrees in behavior analysis and therapy from Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, Dr. Guercio has worked in settings serving as Director of Behavioral Services for the Missouri Department of Mental Health, and as Vice President of Clinical Services and Research at the Judevine Center for Autism/TouchPoint Autism Services in St. Louis. He also serves as adjunct faculty in the behavior analysis department at Washington University, St. Louis University and Central Missouri University. He has given more than 500 presentations at behavioral conferences and authored and/or co-authored over 50 articles in peer reviewed journals as well as written several book chapters related to the treatment of intensive behavioral issues. He has authored or co-authored 2 books; Assessment of Adult Core Competencies: Teaching Skills to Adults with Autism and Severe Behavioral Challenges; and Behavioral Relaxation Training Clinical Applications with Diverse Populations. Dr. Guercio serves on the Board of Editors of Behavior Analysis Research and Practice and is a guest reviewer for the Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis. In his career, Dr. Guercio has helped design and run a program for individuals with sexually deviant behavior and substance abuse issues and has developed an entire treatment protocol based upon that program. In his current role at Benchmark Human Services, Dr. Guercio serves as the Clinical Director. He develops and delivers behavioral services for clients with significant aggression and high risk behavioral needs, many of whom have been institutionalized for more than 15 years, often under restraints and heavy medication. Through Dr. Guercio’s leadership, many clients’ medication dosages have decreased and they have developed positive compensatory behaviors and are being integrated into the community. Dr. Guercio currently serves on the ABAI Licensing Committee and is a board member of the Missouri Association for Behavior Analysis.
Dr. Guercio receives small royalties from sales of his books.
THIS EVENT IS APPROVED FOR THE FOLLOWING CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT HOURS
- 2 BACB CEUs (learning)
- 2 APA Credit Hours
- 2 NBCC Credit Hours (assessment/ career development)
- Above professions earn CE hours for LIVE or RECORDING
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT REQUIREMENTS
- Attendance Verification and Passing Score on Post-test (80%) Required to Earn Continuing Education Credit
- Participants are provided multiple opportunities to pass the post-test and provide attendance verification.
- For ABAC's continuing education approvals statements please view our Continuing Education page.
If the abovementioned continuing education credit requirements are not met, participants will not receive continuing education credit. Partial credit will not be awarded. Refunds and transfers are not granted if requirements are not met. In the event additional support is necessary to achieve the expected outcomes (see below) please reach out to email@example.com to request assistance.
Attendees who meet the continuing education credit requirements must also fill out a confidential evaluation. Once the evaluation is complete, the certificate can be found in the "My Certificates" tab in an attendee's abacnj.com personal dashboard.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT REQUIREMENTS
Certificate of attendance are offered to those who do not need or require continuing education credit. For those attending the live event, selecting "other" as a professional designation will produce a certificate of attendance for professional development or internal organization training purposes.
EXPECTED LEARNING OUTCOMES
After attending this event, attendees will select the correct answer on 80% of the questions within 3 attempts of the post-test that assesses the 3 learning objectives for this 6- hour event.
INCLUDED WITH WORKSHOP
- PDF handouts of presentation slides
- Select assessments, articles, and other resources
- Reference list.